Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What season one Star Trek episodes are best as an introduction to Star Trek?

I have a friend who has never seen Star Trek, and in order to prepare him for the upcoming movie, I'd like to show him a few episodes from the original series. I have the remastered first season, and am trying to decide which to show. Which would be best? I might show him three or four.|||Wow! Tough one. I would have to say that City on the Edge of Forever Is a must.


After that I would say Balance of Terror (because it will likely be most similar to the movie, The Galileo Seven ( a great one for understanding characters and one of the few in Season one with a lot of Scotty) and then I think "Devil in the Dark"





The 3 points mentioned above by marc are unimportant and never mentioned in the series itself.


I will say that one's I would avoid are Charlie X, The Menagerie, Court Martial, Miri, The Man Trap, The Enemy Within, Conscience of the King. I was going to also exclude "where no man has gone before" but that one could be interesting since it is a very early one and Spock is fairly emotional but it depends on how he is played in the movie. I would probably avoid "Mudd's Women" since the comedic episodes probably are not good as an introduction.|||http://www.spacestationvideoga鈥?/a>

Report Abuse


|||Balance of Terror (for the first Starship battle fought ever!)


City on the Edge of Tomorrow (Perhaps the best episode of all)


The Doomsday Weapon (Pure Acting talent including the suicide of Commodore Decker)


and the M15 Episode. Once more great acting AND story.

Report Abuse


|||Id say my first choice would be Errand of mercy. Purely because it introduces the klingons. Or try showing them The Squire of Gothos. its funny n clevver. :)

Report Abuse


|||I might shy away from 'City on the Edge of Forever' as it is more Earth based and may be a bit removed from what the movie might cover. I'd suggest:





The Arena (gotta love the Gorn)


Operation: Annihilate (the flying parasites)


Return to Tomorrow (the glowing globe people)


The Tholian Web (good space episode)





Those would be my picks. I steer away from time travel, humor and stick to the basics. Now I want to go back and watch these again!|||Balance of Terror


Where No Man Has Gone Before


The Cage


City On the Edge of Forever


(Although the new movie is a re-imagining of the series and bears little resemblance to the official history (ie: The Enterprise was built in orbit and not on Earth, Spock and Kirk met on the Enterprise NOT in starfleet academy and Spock is considerably older than the rest of the crew)|||check some web sites like www.trekspace.com or something to find out what are the best episodes are





Id show 'em the first 2 or 3 and maybe the ones with the most action


and probably the last 2 or 3





but thats just me{:-)}|||Where No Man Has Gone Before


Balance of Terror


The Corbomite Maneuver


The Galileo Seven





Tomorrow Is Yesterday is also strong and showcases time travel, which becomes something of a Trek staple, without those annoying whales.|||It's a tough answer, but I would suggest


The Corbomite Maneuver


The Enemy Within


The Devil in the Dark


and/or


The Naked Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment